Global Solutions Initiative
The Global Solutions Initiative (GSI) is a global collaborative enterprise to propose policy responses to major global problems, addressed by the G20, the G7 and other global governance fora. The policy recommendations and strategic visions are generated through a disciplined research program by leading research organizations, elaborated in policy dialogues between researchers, policy makers, business leaders and civil society representatives.
For this purpose, the GSI draws on two core communities:
- The Council for Global Problem-Solving (CGP) is the research base and intellectual core of the GSI, comprising recognized researchers and policy advisers from world-class research institutions committed to providing policy proposals to the G20.
- The Multistakeholder Council (MSC) involves leaders from government, multilateral organizations, business and civil society. It engages in advocacy and promotes implementation of policy proposals.
The Global Solutions Initiative is embodied in an independent legal entity, the Global Solutions Initiative Foundation (GSIF), managed by an Executive Committee and supported by a Secretariat that is hosted by the Hertie School of Governance. The coordinator of research is the Kiel Institute for the World Economy; conference partner of the GSI is the Tagesspiegel.
The activities of the GSI include
- Global Solutions Summit, the world policy forum: Building on the highly successful Think 20 Summit in Berlin in May 2017, followed by the Summit in May 2018. The 2019 Summit in Berlin will be at March the 18th and 19th
- International workshops and conferences, comprising “deep dives” into particular policy areas
- Dialogues with policy makers and business leaders, based on the Policy Briefs
- National and regional meetings, exploring the interface between global problem-solving and local decision-making
- A Summer School for graduate students from business schools and public policy schools, focused on the implications of the recoupling theme
- A Global Solutions Journal which assembles world-class thinkers with politicians and representatives from civil society and business.
For further information please see our brochure.